As a general rule, vodka is a good choice if you’re hoping to avoid a hangover. Vodka, after all, is light in color and it tends to contain fewer impurities than dark-colored liquors such as tequila or scotch.
But though some types of vodka are less likely to cause a hangover, others can cause very intense headaches and nausea due to the high levels of impurities they contain.
Vodka hangovers have a reputation for being severe in part because of the low-quality brands and the high levels of impurities that they contain.
Any type of alcohol can cause a hangover, but vodka hangovers are notoriously awful. Though the alcohol content, of course, plays a role in causing a hangover, chemicals called congeners may be to blame for the super-intense hangovers that are caused by certain types of vodka.
Not all vodka brands contain the same amounts of these chemicals and not everybody metabolizes the congeners in the same way. If you tend to get hangovers after drinking vodka, consider switching to a higher-quality brand that contains fewer impurities.
Continue reading to learn more about how long a vodka hangover lasts and how to prevent a hangover in the first place.
How long does a vodka hangover last?
A vodka hangover can last anywhere from 12 to 48 hours depending on the situation. A two-day hangover is definitely the exception. Most hangovers end within 24 hours.
If you’re hoping to avoid a hangover, there are steps you can take to reduce the risk of symptoms. For vodka hangovers that are already in-progress, you can get IV Therapy to eliminate headaches, nausea, heartburn, and other symptoms that are caused by dehydration and the alcoholic toxins.
Below we discuss the steps for preventing a vodka hangover in the first place. Learn how you can make wise choices before, during, and after the party to avoid having a splitting headache the next day.
Steps for Preventing a Vodka Hangover
If you want to prevent a hangover from drinking vodka, there are some tried-and-true ways to lower the odds that your symptoms will be off the charts the next day. A lot of the most important steps you can take to avoid a hangover involve taking care of your general health in a logical way. Below are the six most valuable things that you can do to prevent a hangover:
- Avoid Impurities. Choose only high-quality vodka brands that contain lower levels of impurities/congeners. All alcoholic drinks contain ethanol. As a result they have the potential to cause a hangover. By choosing higher quality brands of vodka, you can avoid the impurities that push the threshold of a hangover.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the night in addition to whatever alcohol you choose to consume. Dehydration can cause some of the most uncomfortable symptoms associated with hangovers and drinking plenty of water can help your body flush out some of the toxins that you’re consuming. By preventing dehydration, you can diminish the odds that you’ll suffer the symptoms of hangover the next day.
- Eat healthy. Eat reasonably-sized meals that consist of whole foods and lots of fruits and vegetables both before and after a night of drinking. Getting lots of nutrients before you go out drinking can make a big difference in how well your body can cope with the stress of consuming high quantities of ethanol and congeners. Eat a good breakfast after a night of partying that includes protein and healthy fats like olive oil to flush out the liver.
- Take Supplements. There are certain supplements that can help your body overcome the effects of alcohol and any impurities it contains. The B vitamins and magnesium play an important role in how the body metabolizes alcohol, for example. Amino acid supplements can also help your body properly process alcohol to lower the intensity of a hangover.
- Sleep Well. Avoid pulling an all-nighter if you’re planning to drink a lot of vodka. Commit to getting a reasonable amount of shut-eye to avoid having a hangover headache the next day. Getting the proper amount of sleep will go a long way toward preventing the development of digestive upsets.
- Drink in Moderation. If you drink too much, your body will inevitably struggle to purge the toxins and you’ll end up with a horrible hangover. Drinking in moderation allows your body to keep pace with the impurities that you’re consuming and flush them out as the night wears on. Following the other steps listed above may help you keep your alcohol consumption levels in check.
In addition to following the above tips to prevent hangover, consider doing IV Therapy to overcome a hangover quickly after it starts. IV Therapy can remedy a number of the problems caused by a heavy night of partying.
IV Therapy to Combat a Vodka Hangover
If you’ve never tried IV Therapy to overcome a vodka hangover, be prepared to be impressed! IV Therapy is the fastest, most effective way to get rid of hangover symptoms fast. Intravenous treatment either before or after a drinking binge is able to quickly and easily resolve the issues caused by toxins and dehydration.
IV Therapies are administered directly into the bloodstream so the effects take place almost immediately to overcome the symptoms of hangover including nausea, headache, dehydration, muscle aches, and more. IV treatments assist the body in flushing out the toxins and impurities leftover after a night of heavy drinking.
We offer a variety of different anti-hangover options that can be administered before or after a night on the town. Our hangover packages were designed to relieve the symptoms of every type of hangover, including the symptoms caused by drinking low-quality vodka. Each drip contains different nutrients that can be specifically matched to your hangover situation:
Our Basic Hydration package meets the needs of many hangover situations. This IV drip works its magic primarily through rehydration via normal saline fluid that contains fluids and electrolytes. It restores balance to your inner ecosystem while boosting your energy levels for the remainder of the day.
If you have a hangover that’s intense but maybe not worth bragging about, this is the package for you. It contains a healthy batch of fluids and electrolytes to enliven the blood and get you past any unpleasant symptoms of hangover quickly. This particular package adds some pain relief, anti-nausea, and heartburn medication to the drip to improve the outlook for the day.
This package is for the drinker who thinks ahead. It was designed to allow you to fully hydrate the body before the party starts, to lessen the odds of developing a hangover the next day. By pushing fluids along with a complex of B-vitamins into your body before you go out drinking, you’ll notice a positive difference the next day.
This IV drip was designed to treat any symptom of your hangover. When you order this package, our medical team will put together one medication to combat your worst symptom, along with vitamins, and nutrients for total rejuvenation. The Baller contains a modified version of the Myer’s Cocktail which is used as a “magic bullet” against hangovers.
Defcon is for serious hangovers and it delivers a full liter of fluids and electrolytes to get symptoms under control. In addition, you can choose two medications to get rid of your most unpleasant symptoms from nausea and heartburn to headaches and muscle pain.
IV Therapy Locations
Best Vodka Brands for Avoiding a Hangover
The brand of vodka that you choose will play an important role in determining whether or not you experience a hangover after a long night of partying. Choosing a high-quality brand of vodka means consuming fewer impurities and toxins that could cause a hangover. It’s true that higher-quality brands of vodka tend to be more expensive, but this isn’t always the case. Just because you pay more for a particular brand of vodka does not guarantee that you’ll be hangover-free the next day.
When shopping for a brand of vodka that’s unlikely to produce hangovers, what you’re really looking for is a vodka that has been distilled many times. These are the ones that contain the fewest impurities that would contribute to a killer hangover. Below is a list of high-quality brands that have gone through the distillation process over and over again to remove toxins and congeners: